JUNE 10, 2021 | COLUMBUS, OH
FREE MEALS TO BE DISTRIBUTED AT OVER 260 SITES ACROSS OHIO
Children’s Hunger Alliance (CHA) announced the start of its expanded summer nutrition program along with its many partners – new and returning – distributing free meals to kids at over 260 meal sites across Ohio. This is the second year that CHA and its partners are collaborating to help close the summer nutrition gap for children living in food-insecure homes.
Judy Mobley, president and CEO of CHA, said, “The summer break is a time when many disadvantaged children are at greater risk of experiencing hunger as they lose access to school and afterschool meals they rely on for their daily nutrition. With the help of our many partners and of course, our committed donors, we’re able to help reduce the risk of hunger by providing free meals to children statewide. We know that many families are still recovering financially from the pandemic and these meals are critical for their children.”
Last year, in response to COVID-19, CHA launched its summer nutrition program with 180 sites across Ohio including 30 mobile meal stops in Columbus, Dayton, Toledo and Canton. This year, the group will distribute meals at over 260 sites of which 196 are open sites including 42 mobile meal stops in Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Lima, Youngstown and several cities in Southeast Ohio. Open meal sites allow all kids 18 and younger to receive free meals without registration.
According to Feeding America’s statistics, the estimated number of food-insecure children in Ohio increased to 700,000 – or 1 in 4 – during the pandemic in comparison to 500,000 – or 1 in 5 – before COVID-19. The spike in childhood hunger rates – caused by the public health crisis dragging on – prompted the U.S. Department of Agriculture to extend the provided flexibilities through the end of August, allowing summer nutrition programs to benefit more children in need.
In Columbus, the mobile meal stops will be operating according to the schedule below:
- St. Stephens Community House, 1500 E. 17th Ave, Columbus, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, noon to 3:00 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday, 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Space Shop, 1000 E. Dublin Granville Rd, Columbus, Monday and Wednesday, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, Noon to 2:00 p.m.
- Lehnert Green Apts, 1600 Bierl Dr, Galloway, Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Reynoldsburg YMCA, 1450 Davidson Dr, Reynoldsburg, Monday to Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Binns Elementary, 1080 Binns Blvd, Columbus, Monday to Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.Etna Road Elementary, 4531 Etna Rd, Whitehall, Monday to Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Marsh Run Apts, 2393 Canal Bay Way, Columbus, Monday to Friday, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Maryland Ave Pool, 1380 Atcheson St, Columbus, Monday to Friday, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Forest Park Elementary, 5535 Sandalwood Blvd, Columbus, Monday to Friday, 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Moler Elementary, 1201 Moler Rd, Columbus, Monday to Friday, 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Click here to see the full list of CHA open meal sites or scan the QR code.